What is a boundary?
Boundaries are invisible lines you draw to help you deal with life.
Boundaries are good; other people may say setting boundaries are bad. They keep your life in balance; balance is good because when you out of balance in a certain area of your life the other areas of your life don’t get the same amount of attention and may not even develop as you are focusing too much on the latter.
Sometimes we are forced to set boundaries for ourselves by other people we don’t believe in setting boundaries for themselves and they may envision that most people are this way inclined. These types of people may become sick, burnt out and even workaholics. Other times, some people are so oblivious to how the next person feels and they ignore another’s boundaries. In essence boundaries help you to have a prosperous and successful life there by enabling there to be a time for everything.
A few questions you could ask yourself to help you decide if you should set boundaries in your life.
1. What do you do for fun?
2. Are you bullied by others do things you don’t like to do?
3. What makes you smile?
4. Do you spend more than you earn?
5. How much money have you borrowed to friends?
6. What’s your kid’s favourite colour?
7. How much money have you asked back from those who have borrowed from you?
8. What makes you laugh?
9. When is the last time you saw your friends?
10. What was the last leisure activity that you enjoyed?
Hope this helps to keep the balance and don’t forget the importance of boundaries. This doesn’t rule out that sometimes it’s okay for boundaries to be side stepped depending on the situation. Weigh the pro’s and con’s in terms of both the long term and short term and see what you come up with.